Tuesday, April 17, 2007

A Learning Process

The Santa Cruz crit was Sunday and it was one helluva race. I really like this race. A fast course with a 180º turn at the top and a deceivingly difficult uphill finish.

There were 8 MIB, a formidable squad. But, AMD and CVC and Stanley Morgan and the Strawberry Boys showed up in force as well. El Jeffe jumped at the start and set a blistering pace that never let down. We averaged about 24.5 mph for the 20 lap race with a 180º turn and a hill. OUCH. At least two of us averaged a higher HR than at any race yet this year. Yeah, it was one of those. I think less than half the starters finished.

A two man break got away with AMDs Laberge. I bridged up to it. We got caught. A counter went...I jumped on the back. The pace stayed high and it was easier to be at the front. I learned this the hard way as I dropped back to rest, then dropped back a little farther, then a little farther. All the sudden I was killing myself to close gaps after the 180 and fighting Max and Stanley for DFL.


With 7 to go I almost bailed but gave just a little bit extra and got back on. The pace must have slowed some because I worked my way forward (or at least in my head I was moving forward) but anyhow, I was still in it...close that gap. (lesson 1)

We had 4 guys on the front

3 more not far behind with 3 to go.

We saw 2 to go...
there was a small crash in the 180,
Andrew was out.


El Jeffe was right there with me and I probably could have used my last bit of strength and gotten him closer to the front where he could have been a factor. I didn't....there is always something you can do to help the team. (lesson 2)


Hutch jumped
MM went with him.
Taz and PT and CW were all right there
for the counter...
or to cheer on MM for the win,

but,

AMD chased it down.


I think this is about the time I became a cheerleader.


I wasn't on the front and didn't think I could get there and probably wouldn't have been much help if I did get up there.

Never give up...never (lesson 3)!

Taz went crazy and set the Wireman up but that hill is deceivingly difficult. He ran out of gas and couldn't hang on for the win...he got fifth. Probably because it was like his fourth race day in a row with Snotter and all.

Not a bad finish but MIB are never satisfied with anything but the win.

Wente...here we come (but not me 'cause I have to go do the military thing...damn).

1 comment:

norcalcyclingnews.com said...

damn military.



we sooooo need you.