Saturday, March 01, 2008

Fork Shoals Road Race

Fork Shoals Road Race P/1/2
Greenville, SC
1 March 2008

To start off, I wasn't sure I was going to be able to make it to the race.  When I finally decided "game on" at 8pm Friday night, I checked the flyer one more time and noticed a pre-reg option.  I figured I could at least look to see if the field was full or not.  Well, much to my surprise, not only was the field not full, but I was able to register on line! Only 10 hours prior to the start of the race...kudos to Race Management Services.  And, I also noticed that Big George (High Road) and Teddy King (Bissell) were racing.

So the morning started like any other race morning. Except I was in a hotel in Atlanta not my bed in Redwood City. And I was going to a race I hadn't even heard of until the week before. And I didn't have a kitchen to raid for my pre-race meal.  But, alas, I was going to do my first P/1/2 road race.

I solved the breakfast issue with a quick stop at Cracker Barrel.  What a deal.  For $4 I got a bowl of oatmeal with nuts, raisins, brown sugar, a sliced banana, a carton of milk, and an apple bran muffin.  Gold Mine!  A quick stop for a potent cup of 'joe and I was, well, off to the races.

As I left Georgia and entered South Carolina the morning clouds broke, the sun peeked through, and of course the wind picked up. But, I had just raced Snelling with evil nasty crosswinds so I was prepared.  I would stay near the front so when the hammerheads went...I wouldn't get caught behind the gapped riders and have to bridge the gaps unnecessarily burning matches I would surely need.

Ah, best laid plans.

The race started 45 minutes late.  My only negative comment about the whole day.  And, to the promoters credit, when they realized it, they announced that "all afternoon races will be delayed 45 minutes".

On the line I noticed a couple teams well represented (Hincapie/Coca Cola, Hincapie Development Team, Industry Nine, Black Sheep) but it looked like mostly a lot of ones and twos.  I saw George and his brother and Teddy and the 2007 State Champ (SC I think) and a bunch of kids.  But, there were a couple old guys like me also.

We weren't 5 miles into the race when the first break went. I waited.  Surely the "teams" would not let this happen if it was serious. It was only four guys, the state champ and a teammate (Hincapie/Coca Cola) included. I couldn't stand it. I tried to rally some support. I needed a couple guys to go with me. I jumped on a chase with Bissell. It failed. Maybe I could get another going. But, I had no idea what the course held. And, we had 65 miles to go. I got a couple guys to rally but there were at least 3 or 4 more Hincapie/Coke guys in the field. And they were boogers. They had control. None of the other teams were interested.

Lap 1: Gap = one minute
Lap 2: Gap = two minutes

I couldn't take it. The race was up the road. I had already done too much trying to get in the "right" chase and ignite chases, but at this point it seemed like it was just a work-out. A 75 mile training ride. The race was over. After two guys went off the front to bridge to the break and I was left sitting on the front, I tried to give it up, I was going sooooo slow but nobody would come around me. i got so frustrated. Then one of the Hincapie guys who had been blocking all day came up and became my oV. 

He said, "don't worry about those two, they won't make it."
I replied, "none of us are making it, I might as well get a work-out."
He so profoundly replied, "Oh...you'll get a work-out as soon as Big George and Bissell decide to turn it on."

I dropped back about 15 bikes, sat in, relaxed, started to enjoy the easy ride, then all HELL broke lose.  Bissell went, George took a pull and a pull and a pull and Bissell again, they were going for it.  Tag teaming the front. For 10 minutes it seemed like a pro race. We were all guttered and gutted. Then they sat up. We all sat up. Later I heard two guys talking, "I was so on the rivet back there", "yeah I don't think I could've hung on for another minute". I think we lost twenty or thirty guys in that 10 minutes.

Lap 3: Gap 1 minute

It stayed like that with random periods of speed when somebody got antsy. When the crosswind picked up. When Bissell or George took a pull.

Lap 4: Gap 1 minute

Bell lap. Here we go. But we weren't going. It was just more of the same. Then, on the backside, in the crosswind, George moved up. He pulled, someone else took a turn, someone else. We could see the break. It was coming back together. Ouch, the beginning twinges of cramps. (I drank the three bottles I carried, no neutral water) Have to stay near the front. No more than 10 back! That's my final offer. Top ten would be respectable. Last 5 miles. Rollers, long steeper roller, down, the last long steep roller, I'm holding my spot, some guys moving up, others falling back. At the top, flattens out a little, winds around, slight up hill, little kick at the end. Seen it 4 times already. Speeding up. Finish is closer than I thought. There's the sign, Bissell is sprinting, and the roof, and the 200m, still holding on, George sat up, two guys I can catch, over the shoulder nobody even close, pedal harder, faster, sprint. Finish. How far back? 1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8 in front...maybe 7...maybe 9.  Lots of people on bikes.

Well, 9th it was 
and a 
$20 payout to boot, 
thanks George

...until I looked on line (just for shits and grins, because no promoter can get results posted on the inter webs within 4 hours of the finish of a race)

I was actually 8th!  

Woohoo!

I love racing!










2 comments:

X Bunny said...

you are so hot!

imike said...

Great job, you were fast in the car
also, looks like 70+, thanks for the report !