Friday, August 18, 2006

Frankenbike

It's alive....

Frame was dug up from its grave. It had been set aside awaiting insurance decision post crash. I thought it was trashed, you know, aluminum frame/carbon fork, 30 mph impact with stationary object while carrying 195 pound rider.

Bad...very bad.

A thorough inspection did find the fork bent so I guess it took the brunt of the impact. It probably helped that I released the bike at impact and accepted my fate to go over the hood with vigor and a calm coolness as if a Hollywood designed stunt. I was not so cool when I arose from the tarmac with shoulder dislocated and helmet cracked, and yet no road rash.

Anyway, back to the story. Needed a new fork. Well, the Fuji fork is in theory OK, only the frame is bad (still awaiting a call from warrantee). Rake looked about the same, though hard to tell since the Slice fork was bent. Fit nicely. A little shorter stem since the frame is a 58 vice 56. DA cranks to replace the FSA cranks that have been sent to warrantee. Oh yeah, hee hee hee, new wheels, Ksyrium ESs. Loved my original pair of Ksyrium SSLs and they served me well for years. But, they have been acting up and need a complete rebuild (which they will get and return as training/spares...or maybe CX?). The new Mavics are very nice. Strong, light, durable, reliable.

So, Frankenbike will make its debut this weekend, provided I shake my sickness. I picked up that hack from my wife after resisting her for three weeks! She finally wore me down. This AM I awoke stuffed up. Lots of H2O and OJ today.

I am racing this weekend even if I have to take a couple Tylenol Sinus on the start line and put Robitussin in my water bottles! Don't tell Dmitriy, shhhhhhh.

4 comments:

Reed Maxwell said...

frankenbikes unite! We'll almost be on matching colors too, so funny (so sad, actually). see you tomorrow, I hope

Chico Cyclist said...

Nice bike!! How did it work this past weekend???

Lothar Glerbny said...

Not bad at all. But, I forgot how harsh aluminum is, especially with really stiff aluminum wheels.

Dunnigan went well. Taz scared everyone at the start. Then, just when things slowed a little Cooper went. I rode up to him and gave him the "let's go" and we did. Thurman joined, man is he strong, and the three of us stayed off for a long damn time. When we got caught another break went with three MIB out of six. Many tried but none were capable of bringing them back. The Delivery Man took the win and the MIB followed through with 4th, 5th, 6th and 7th also. None of them were me...Taz and I played the pull hard and keep it fast game and then pulled off at 200m to go to release the sprinters.

So, Frankenbike performed well. Amazing the difference in converting power to velocity when you have a stiff frame. And agile to. Cannondale chainstays are so much shorter than the Fuji I had to take links out of the chain. Did well in the crits the next as well. 108 laps around Suisun, the last 72 averaging over 27 mph even with all that turning.

PAB(a.k.a.CID) said...

we really went around 108 times? plus warmup/warmdown?

no wonder i was grumpy....