Wednesday, August 02, 2006

Signs, signs....

I meant to post this last week but forgot....but, yesterday while I was riding several of the songs played again and reminded me.

So, a day of climbing. Went a little hard the day before but, I was by myself and I was in no hurry. Supposed to go up Page Mill with HR above 90%.

That shouldn't be hard....right? I can ride a 60 minute crit at 90%. Somehow, though, it is much more difficult to go that hard that long without the motivation of a race or the adrenaline from the dueling in the pack.

Warm-up on the way. Legs not feeling great. Damn, forgot to change the cassette...11-23 for Page Mill, not ideal and certainly won't be able to "spin" up.

I got to the first hills and just didn't feel good. I started making all kinds of excuses and was pondering thoughts of going back down and just doing a flat ride along Foothill Expy (even kidded myself about doing some intervals).

Then, The Red Hot Chili Peppers' Aeroplane started playing....do you know it?

I like pleasure spiked with pain and music is my aeroplane,
It's my aeroplane,
Songbird sweet and sour Jane and music is my aeroplane,
It's my aeroplane
pleasure spiked with pain,
that motherfuckers always spiked with pain.

Looking in my own eyes (hey lord),
I can't find the love I want,
Someone better slap me,
Before I start to rust,
Before I start to decompose,
Looking in my rear view mirror,
Looking in my rear view mirror,
I can make it disappear,
I can make it disappear (have no fear)


I had to keep going!

Then Seal, Bring It On started

Bring it on
At first I didn't have the will to carry on
Illusions in my mind
Like that picture when you feel you can't go on
Like you've been left behind
Life goes on, now
Take me to that funky place where you and I were born.
Carry on, now
Psychedlic tendencies of love will bring it on
Bring it on
Bring it on, Bring it on
Don't wait until tomorrow


Then Bush's Machinehead

Breathe in, breathe out
Breathe in, breathe out

Breathe in


Breathe in, breathe out

Breathe in, breathe out
Breathe in


Tied to a wheel, our fingers got to feel

Bleeding through a tourniquet smile

Spinning on a whim, a slide to the right

I felt you like electric light
For our love

For our fear

For our rise against the years and years and years


You get the picture...

So, I made it to the top, maybe not as fast as I would have liked and maybe not at 90% HR....but, I didn't quit!

And guess what song started as I turned the corner onto Skyline?

It's a beautiful day, the sky falls
And you feel like it's a beautiful day

It’s a beautiful day
Don’t let it get away

You’re on the road but you’ve got no destination
You’re in the mud, in the maze of her imagination

You love this town even if that doesn’t ring true

You’ve been all over and it’s been all over you


It's a beautiful day

Don’t let it get away

It's a beautiful day
Isn't it great how music can motivate you and take your mind to a place so you can ignore the pain coursing through your body!

4 comments:

X Bunny said...

sometimes the words are hard to remember when i'm working that hard--all i can do is one or two lines over and over again

Lorri Lee Lown -- velogirl said...

Seal? I thought only chicks listened to Seal.

PAB(a.k.a.CID) said...

Lothar is definitely the sensitive type...

Reed Maxwell said...

...type of marine! what an enigma. :)

LOTHAR! LOTHAR! your people are calling you hoooome! Your people want you home riding your bike!