Monday, May 14, 2007

A Snake is a Snake

I took the kids to Pulgas Ridge today for a walk. We love this spot. It is right across the street from the house, few but adequate trails, a wide open off leash area, lots of big eucalyptus trees, and some really nice vistas. Oh, I forgot to mention, wildlife!

Now I was a Boy Scout and all but never really learned much about snakes. And to be quite honest...don't care much for them. Now it is someone's pet that's OK. I am more afraid of the unknown and therefore have a HEALTHY respect for what they could be. Anyway, we came across this cute three foot or so brown snake with white bands. I know it is not poisonous but, this little voice inside my brain said..."stay away". So, we stayed away.

Then I got to thinking

"It is summer, the air is cool, the sun is hot...there are going to be lots of snakes out...maybe even poisonous ones."

So, I put the dogs back on their leashes and walked the trails. Maybe I will quit letting them run free in the off leash area for a while. I don't know for sure, but am pretty confident, that if Phanny saw a snake she would try to play with it. If it was a rattler it might scare her away though. When she was younger we used a shake can to get her to leave things alone and maybe the rattles would sound similar and she would back off.

Not going to risk it. Love my kids too much.

No comments: