Wednesday, September 06, 2006

Sneaky and Cheeky

In case you didn't know it was a big weekend for the MIB, both good and bad.

Da Boss and Taz were in V'mont. They started the rash of problems. Da Boss's bike was crushed by the airlines and he had to go shopping the day before the race to get another and couldn't find the same cherry set-up. But Taz won the prologue and was in yellow.

Then the Delivery Man could not deliver on Saturday. He just had one of those days were it doesn't work out no matter how hard you try. He was out of contention for the Cal Cup. Taz gave up the yellow but was still in contention.

Sunday, Taz broke a spoke while contending for the Yellow.

Tough break.

So on Monday, at the Giro de San Francisco, the remaining MIB felt a little redemption was in order. We had nothing to race for other than the win. My out-laws were there and before the race told one of the guys they saw an all black podium in our future.

We're not greedy...we just want the win. But, they have always been good luck for me so maybe it was my day to get off the front and pull a rabbit out of the hat.

An early break went but got reeled back in. I got off with two others including Giganticus. We worked to get a gap but I didn't think it would stick, we just weren't getting up the hill fast enough, then we weren't working well at all. Slowly ones and twos joined, breaks from the break, I covered, and then we were caught.

About 12 to go the hill was starting to make selections. Down the back, the front of the group slowed and several of us were moving up the right. Spiney and Mad Max were bumping right in front of me, shit this is bad, nope they're leaning in, OK, going to stay up, then I'm on the ground and I hit hard. Mad Max stays up but comes back to check on me...that is how hard I went down...Spine is down, Bubba and Nolan are down. Tiny Spiney takes down three of the biggest guys in the race, Nolan is the only one to get back in.

My seat stay is bent (CAAD5...pictures later today) and helmet is in pieces (maybe that explains the neck pain yesterday), I have a little road rash but nothing broken, I get out of the street. Everyone gets up but Bubba.

Has anyone heard if he is OK?

Great, more bad luck, Mad and I are out. But Delivery, PAB, DeanO, Tofu, and MoneyMan are still in. Disco Geezers are pushing it. Stanley Morgan is working for Billy the Kid. It is getting fast near the end and things are lining up. Bell lap. Around the corner, black, black, white, black, blob.

And crossing the line...
it's ALL BLACK!
A MIB podium sweep.

PAB, DeanO and MiMa do the P/1/2 race.

One lap in XB and I are on the top of the course and hear a bang, tire blew, "two riders down" says the announcer, "One is Safeway and he was on the podium earlier", shit!

He gets up, changes wheels, and gets back in.

He gets cheeky with the pros for another dozen laps but it just isn't going to happen.

Later, after another bad crash and a restart, MiMa is also taken down. He is also OK.

Lots of "accidents", none of us seriously hurt, a podium sweep...oh, and Taz out foxed the sprinters to steal the GREEN jersey in the Green Mountain Stage Race!

3 comments:

norcalcyclingnews.com said...

damn that sucks. i think you might have the record for bikes kilt in a single season.

and none your fault.

shyte.

and, why doesn't my blogroller work with your scribblins? wonder if it's because of any header action you got goin' on?

norcalcyclingnews.com said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
PAB(a.k.a.CID) said...

I honestly don't understand why there were SO many crashes at that race. Yeah the pavement sucks, but i don't think it is what caused all the crashes.

Lots of sketchy riding.

Last chance for glory, I guess...