Tuesday, September 05, 2006

Uhhh....sorry 'bout that

So I'm out riding around "recovering" today and it is noon ride time.

I jump in. Corte Madera route. Never done it.

Big group. Some Webbies, a Disco Geezer, the Hipster, PVs, Maxim, lots of strong guys. Disco gets off the front with a half Webbie. Nobody interested in chasing so I go to the front and try to pull them back. I'm making some headway and get some help but cars keep pulling out in front of us on Tripp and slowing us down. The Webbie gets dropped and I think Disco actually waits for us at the top of Olive Hill. Up guardrail hill then the unknown turn and surprise it is onto Corte Madera Rd.

Starts out with a little climb, then up a little more (I have no idea what to expect so just try to keep pace with the leaders, it was much easier after someone told me my rear brake was rubbing...duhhh) then it gets flat, the hill that is. But, then it goes up again. Finally I feel an acceleration and guys are slaying themselves so I figure this must be the top. Not many went over with us but there were a couple Anons, Webbies, LeMen and Disco. Back down to Portola and regroup at Alpine. Junipero Serra to the sprint short of Page Mill.

I am about 6th in line behind Half Webbie, Porcupine, Disco, Anon, full Webbie. The pace is good but not that high. I see a couple signs as we approach PM. I can't remember where the sprint ends. But, I figure I can make it from here or at least die trying. I start an acceleration and get out in the wind up the right, since we are riding the line, and there is a big bike lane, not too windy, going harder. I am easily overtaking the leaders so I stand and go for it. Just as I do this I am abeam Disco and he pulls out of line hard and takes me all the way to the gravel.


I brake hard and yell,
whooah,
easy,
what the hell....
blah, blah, blah.

He goes for a little
then sits up and
yells something
about his wheel.
He waits for me at the light.

He asks "Hey what's up, you OK"

"Yeah, you just pulled out fast and almost pushed me into the gravel, you didn't even look"

"I didn't see you"

"I hope not, I know you were just trying to get away from the line to keep someone from getting on your wheel"

Apology from me, apology from him a hand shake and a friendly...

"I'm Dylan"

"Hi, I'm Kyle. You're Dylan Casey?"

"Yeah"

We chatted for a while, turned back north together and chatted some more. Man I felt like the stupid group ride whiner. I let the emotion of the moment get to me. He was in front and it was my responsibility to get by him without a collision.

Of course he didn't curb me intentionally.

But it is really cool that I got to ride with a Postie!

Sorry.

1 comment:

PAB(a.k.a.CID) said...

He was thinkin how cool it was to ride with a Bagboy...

Uh, so, you actually have a bike that still runs?