Sunday, April 30, 2006

Time to Think

You know what the worst part about driving home from Central Valley races is?

TOO much time to think. In the almost three hours it took me to drive home I figured out about a dozen different ways I should have won the race today.

Background: This weekend was the Madera Stage Race. This is my kind of race. A criterium...good...a short, flat time trial...good...a flat road race....good. The first race at 2pm on Saturday the last done by 11 am on Sunday. So, how come it didn't work out that well.

I could make all kind of excuses. Morgan had half the field, we only had two riders, it was the first time on my TT bike in two years, it was windy, it was hot, it was bumpy...blah, blah, blah.

But, really it was mental mistakes again. In the crit I was feeling great and well positioned. I just got myself too far forward and in a position from which I couldn't see the finish developing. I got stuck between two groups with momentum and behind I guy who sat up when he realized his teammate wasn't in position. I got ninth. Jeff was in the group with momentum on my right and got sixth.

The TT should have been better for me. My fitness is good, the course is flat, it was windy, I had good coaching (thanks oV), my bike is as good as any, though one of these BMCs would be nice. I got off to a good start. Heartrate up to the mark in 2 min. I stayed at LT for the downwind legs, 90 rpm, trying to keep pace on my 30 sec rider. I turned the second corner into the wind and cranked it up just a little. I caught a rider but not sure if he was the 30 or 60 second rider. I crossed the line just under max HR still cranking out a good pace in just over 24 minutes. I got 12th. Jeff didn't feel as good out there and finished out of the points as well.

This looks aero...

Maybe we can get Poulsen Cycles to make
some of these for Team Safeway?

So, we went into the road race so far down the rankings that a win could only get us on the podium if nobody else raced. Stranger things have happened. We promenaded out at 22mph up hill...what's with that? First lap a couple attacks but the leaders were all marking each other.

Finally, on the second lap a Morgan rider got away solo. Then they let John Ford (Spine) go. What the hell, I thought I would give it a try. I rolled off the front slowly. They let me go a little then chased. When they caught me they slowed, so I tried again. This time they didn't chase, or at least not hard.

I caught John, pause, pass.

Morgan was about 50m up the road. Bridged to him. Pause, pass. Solo for a while, not really going too hard, not really sure if Morgan sat with me or not. I thought I dropped him but all of the sudden Shawn Oliver was on my wheel. I sat up to see if he would pull through and he did. We motored at a reasonable pace through the rough section, then the hills, feed zone, and we were still off the front about 400-500m.

I asked Shawn if they would let us go and if he thought we could stay away. He said yes if I didn't attack him. Knowing I was better off with him than without, we settled in and worked together, though I was a little more motivated to stay off the front so did the majority (at least in my head).

On the third lap we got neutralized, passed by the P/1/2 field, passed them back, through the pave, the rollers, the finish and they rang the bell (I thought we had 2 more laps...yippee). Same had apparently happened in the rest of the field but it caused a split. The split was supposed to be closed by the officials but wasn't and all three of the GC leaders were caught in the back group with no hopes of catching so quit the race after 3 laps. Eventually, Brian went back out and finished...is that allowed?

Last lap I was determined to stay away. We stayed in front of the pros, the motor official came up on the pave and said there was a chase of 2, 53 seconds back, then a chase of 5-6. Too close and too much work done to not give it all. I put my head down and Shawn hung tight. He edged me at the line and I got second. Damn, always a brides maid. Then, much to my surprise...the next guy across the line was my teammate being chased by Takumi. Shithot!

We ended up 4th and 7th overall, then 2nd and 5th (when they realized Brian and Peter hadn't finished), then 3rd and 6th (when Brian did go finish?)...who the hell knows or cares. What a crazy race.

7 comments:

PAB(a.k.a.CID) said...

LG, you rode great today and were deserving of the win.

Not to worry. That 1st win will come--how about this coming weekend?

X Bunny said...

didn't get a chance to tell you 'good job' afterwards (i can't see how househunting could be more fun than sitting around a few extra hours in the dirt)

good job!

Lothar Glerbny said...

This weekend sounds good to me.

Found a house. We make an offer today. I'll let you know.

X Bunny said...

that was quick!

we looked for a year

but we are so goddam picky

Anonymous said...

Lothar!

Your a stud.

Told me at the start you were going off and you did it. Nice.

I wish I had a little tactical freedom to race but I had a job to do, even if it wasn't appreciated in the end.

Had fun all in all and as always love flappin my gums with you and PAB.

ms

Velojuice said...

You are the man! I knew it!

Lothar Glerbny said...

MS,
When I was talking about off the front...I was probably talking about the company Off the Front that made

MY PIMP NEW HANDLEBAR TAPE

damn...no picture...I'll post it later.

Maybe a group shot from this weekend!