Tuesday, April 25, 2006

Wrenching Free

Man, there is nothing that makes me happier than hangin' out at the bike shop chatting with friends and wrenching on my own bike.

But, first, have you ever had one of those days? I pulled Blue off the wall yesterday morning to get her ready for the TT at Madera on Saturday. I know, I know, I should have been riding her at least once a week for the last couple months. Lots of excuses but I'll spare you. No I won't...you just won't read it if you don't care.

So, I tried to ride her last week, but one of my tubulars wouldn't hold air (yes the same one that flatted on the way to the Sea Bisquit Circuit Race, causing Reed and I to have to ride back to the hotel so I could switch wheels, then we had to hammer to the race to make the start) and it was the only wheel with a 9 speed cassette on it and I didn't have an 8mm wrench to change pedals and I didn't have any shoes with Speedplay cleats...see what I mean, so I took the Green Hornet out and we had fun. Besides, the Hornet hadn't been ridden much since Mt. Fuji came along.

Yesterday I vowed to try again. My recovery day. A perfect time to get reaquainted with the TT position. I still hadn't changed the tubular, but I have four sets of wheels. I put a 9 spd on the old Open Pro trainers. Went to put some air in the tires and my pump wouldn't seal. I couldn't inflate my tires. Now, how sad is that? I've been meaning to get a replacement o-ring for a while, just haven't figured out where to get it from. OK, OK, OK, I can put the 9 spd on the wheels I rode yesterday at Wente...they still have air. Nice try. The cassette body is aluminum and is so chewed up from the Ti cassette that was on it, I cannot get the new one on. And, I don't have a file to fix it like I did last time this happened. Now what? I already wasted an hour. The Green Hornet, old faithful, off we go..after we put a 10 spd cassette back on the only set of wheels that have air.

Anyway, today I vowed to fix all those "issues". And, it was a good excuse for taking this week off work. My wife didn't even complain much...and I didn't complain about sleeping on the sofa. So, I got a new tubular glued on, pedals installed, tuned her up, computer works, cassette on wheels for race. Now I just need to go for a ride. It's on the calendar for Thursday. Thankfully it is a short, flat, TT...I think?

3 comments:

norcalcyclingnews.com said...

brotha,

yer killin me.

time to upgrade you.

cat1 blogger.

X Bunny said...

see you at the short flat somewhat bumpy tt

Ron Castia said...

You have me missing my Simoneti. Wish I hadn't sold it.